PDA

View Full Version : Brass Rotary Works seems to be losing a bit of power.

Mozzer337
11-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi... Not picked up my Rotary Works for a while now, has ive been hooked on my Dan Kubin machines. Anyhoo I recently set up my Rotary Works to do some work on a piece and it seemed to slow down slightly. Im not sure if I am imagining this though. Its seems to change sound slightly when manoeuvering the machine around, and on low volts 2/2.5 it slows down significantly when I put some thumb pressure on the needle nipple.

I dont really want to pester Dale if the machine is running ok. Its just that I cant remember how it ran when I got it. Ive used a few rotaries since then which may have changed my thoughts on how I remember how it ran.

Just wondered if anyone knows what I am trying to say, and has had this issue?

Its the 6 volt motor btw.

OwlsDen
11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Not to point out the possible obvious, but check your cable first. I had a problem recently that was very much like that and it was my cable loosing connection from damage. Also if this is still set up for clipcord usage maybe try flipping your connection around. Is the motor spinning clockwise? Anyways these motors are not expensive, if nothing else seems to work there are a few places on the forum where people have posted about replacements for these motors. Typically about 10€

Tiger Dan
11-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Funny enough I have recently pm'd Dale about a similar problem.
The machine is slowing down and it seems as if something is loose inside the motor housing as it changes to a grinding pitch when moving the machine.
I have stripped, cleaned and lubed regularly as well as trying other power/clipcord set ups.
Let us know how you get on mate.

peter clements
11-22-2012, 02:26 PM
It needs a new motor-send it to Dale and he'll deal with it.

Mozzer337
11-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies. I use the clip cord daily. Its a talon cord so its not cheap shit. It runs my other machines fine. I recently went back to clip cord as I got sick of different machines and cords having different fitting RCA plugs. I might get a new clipcord just to make sure, but as im almost certain its not that, I will message Dale if it continues. The machine is only 8 months old and its not used daily.

acink
11-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi mozzer im having the same problem with my alloy rw that i bought a couple of months ago funny thing is it only happens when i use my lab supply it starts the same as u described but when i change it to my backup supply the hurricane i know its a knock off but its fine on that supply:confused:

boaz
11-23-2012, 03:15 PM
had the same prob but i loosened the motor screws slightly and it sorted the problem out

Mozzer337
11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Im using a Critical CX-1 that has run every rotary ive owned and it was always fine with the rotary works. It was sat in the drawer for a while and I put it down to lack of use, but im convinced it has lost a bit of power. Gonna try it with a new clip cord when I get chance, and see what happens. Failing that i'll message Dale and ask his advice. Cheers for the tip Boaz, but im gonna refrain from loosening screws for now. I dont want to mess with anything till ive tried all the no brainers, and after that speak to Dale.

rotaryworks
11-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Please pesta me not been on for while had a family member die ... If its not working proper let me know I,d want to get it sorted a few things to check 1 are you using rubber gromits /2 how many bands you using . 3 what motor is it ?4 make sure it's oiled .. 5 as said before try screws that hold motor ,,6 get a hammer hit it hard .. If that don't work send it back ... Ok skip no 6 .... Maybe ... Eliminate the 5 first ... Let me know ..

Mozzer337
11-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up Dale. I use paper towel grommets. I use 1, size 14 band. Its a 6 volt motor and Ive lubed it using super lube and Instol. Im going to try it using a new clipcord and I'll try altering the screws. I'll update this thread later this week.

Cheers again

skinmech
11-26-2012, 04:30 PM
or, on a 6v Machine, I only run 6v RW's.......oil it..(I use 3in1)...Yep 3 in 1...Squirt it on top and onto the "cam"....cover the machine in a paper towel, then start at 1v, build up slowly, let the oil penetrate, and ramp to 6.2v's, for a few seconds....At 6.2v's it will get rid of any excess oil, and "hopefully" you will be good to go..If this fails send it to Dale,LOL...

reigningink
11-27-2012, 06:01 AM
I've found with a few of my machines that have really tight tolerances that super lube is just too thick. I've had a few machines that acted similar to what you described when I used it. Usually if I break them down, clean all the areas with alcohol to remove the superlube, and put a less viscous lube (like 3in1 mentioned above) it tends to even them out. Just be sure to clean up any residual oil and your ready to go. No guarantee this will work for your rw but I hope it does.

boaz
11-27-2012, 06:36 AM
mozz have you tried the screws mate????

devans
11-27-2012, 11:56 AM
which screw we on about ?

boaz
11-27-2012, 04:07 PM
the two that holds the motor

Mozzer337
11-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I aint yet, no. Will definitely give that a try though. I'll wahs out the machine and re lube it with instol too. Thanks for the tips people.

Tiger Dan
12-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Mozzer, dunno if this is any help.
Dale offered me a new motor and is a fukk*n top bloke for doing so, but I thought I might be taking the piddle if I accepted and had a proper look at my machine... problem solved.
I noticed that the piston was not running parallel with the back plate of the body. It appears that the shaft on the motor is just a tad too long when the motor is in place, thus making the piston drive shaft sit at an angle and push the shaft back on itself, this in turn seemed to be adding force to the brushes making it grind.
I cleaned, lubed and have shimmed between the motor and the frame and it runs like a humming bird. A couple of little shims have made a whole world of difference.
Once again, much love for Dale and his contribution to our craft.

Mozzer337
12-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Cheers mate I'll look into that too.